$100,000 – $125,000 a year
Full Job Description
About Climate Nexus
Our purpose is to galvanize America’s will to act by telling the stories of people impacted by or fighting to halt climate change.
Our mission is to change the conversation to inspire, inform, and elevate constructive and equitable action on climate change. At Climate Nexus, we’re working to tell stories about the climate crisis that resonate with everyone, and lead to the progressive policy needed to equitably address this generational problem.
We’re hiring an Associate Director of Communications to drive forward the strategy for a coalition working to decarbonize the maritime shipping industry, messaging, and tactics to raise the profile of the issue in the climate change conversation. The coalition is made up of global NGOs working to tackle the climate crisis by accelerating the transition to a clean maritime shipping industry.
Read more about Climate Nexus on our website here.
Associate Director of Communications Overview
This role will work at the nexus (pun intended) of a coalition of partner organizations all focused on the same mission and outcomes. The Associate Director (AD) of Communications will work closely with them on a day to day basis to ensure that we are elevating the climate community’s understanding of the maritime shipping industry’s impact and role.
A successful AD of Communications will help uplift the profile of shipping as an issue generally and within the conversation on climate, including through earned media and social media. They will coordinate and empower all existing public campaigns within the coalition’s umbrella, providing specific support on an ad hoc basis.
- Proactively coordinate the many partners and stakeholders in the coalition towards common goals and efforts
- Drive strategy and messaging development for the organization, initiatives, and campaigns and coordinate implementation within the coalition
- Research and analyze national debates and discourse on issues related to our work to help maximize our visibility and reach.
Salary: $100,000 to $125,000 annually
Location: Remote in the United States, able to work East Coast hours
Click Here to Apply
Additional role responsibilities include:
- Develop and cultivate relationships with coalition members
- Facilitate and organize virtual meetings/gatherings between coalition members, including the component aspects of successful coalitions & campaign planning (agendas, shared plans etc)
- Identify & delegate priorities, tasks, and key questions that are beneficial to the progress of the coalition-wide communications plan; this will entail working with partners and contractors as needed
- Serve as a resource to coalition members to provide communications trainings
Message & Communications Development
- Design, create, and deploy a coalition-wide communications plan and calendar that prioritizes key moments, plans messaging and materials in advance
- Proactively develop communications strategies to raise the profile of shipping around any big moment, timely news hook, or international meeting related to our work
- Work with coalition communicators and integrate their work into the overall communications strategy, messaging tone, and opportunities to elevate the coalition’s work around key moments
- Formalize communications processes and systems for efforts like press hits and materials requests
Some experiences of a successful AD of Communications may include:
- Experience leading and managing large and complex partnerships or campaign efforts for non-profit organizations, advocacy campaigns, governmental settings, or similar environments; experience at a global scale is ideal but we encourage all people to apply.
- Dynamic people leadership and collaboration skills working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to develop and drive new initiatives, work with multiple stakeholders and groups, oversee projects to completion and measure results.
- Ability to prioritize effectively and independently manage their own time well
- A broad understanding of common communications tactics and usage
Existing subject matter expertise in the maritime industry is not necessary. The AD can expect to get up to speed on key messaging and issues quickly.
How To Apply
In lieu of a cover letter, we are asking applicants to please answer the following questions:
- Why would working in the climate / sustainability space be important to you? (100 words or less)
- Can you briefly tell us about a time you’ve effectively developed and cultivated healthy coalitions and partnerships in your work? (100 words or less)
- What else should we know about you at this time regarding your work experience? (100 words or less)