Full Job Description
Consultant, Sustainable Systems Initiative – Sustainability, Climate and Equity SGO | Businesses, Global and Strategic Services (BGS)
If you are passionate about climate change and how Deloitte advances a low-emissions future, join the Sustainable Systems Initiative, part of the firm’s Sustainability, Climate & Equity (SCE) Strategic Growth Offering (SGO) team. The SCE SGO is the convener/connector of sustainability activity within Deloitte (Business, Industry, and Enabling Areas). The SCE SGO is a cross-functional and cross-business team situated within the Businesses, Global, and Strategic Services (BGS) organization, and with high visibility across the firm.
There is a growing realization that achieving the Paris Agreement ambition of holding global warming close to 1.5C is only possible by making rapid and profound changes to the core systems that underpin modern life: energy, mobility, industrials, food, and more. It is difficult to overstate the magnitude of what’s needed, or the pace at which it must happen.
Achieving changes of the requisite speed and scale is only possible through non-linear , disruptive shifts within and across each of these systems. That, in turn, requires finding points of leverage that can engender positive feedback loops or create tipping points. Urgently catalyzing these exponential systems changes is perhaps our last, best hope for averting the most devastating impacts of climate change.
Through the Sustainable Systems Initiative (SSI), we will help rapidly develop deep collective expertise about what’s required to effect systems change; convene leading players across emerging low-emissions systems to jointly chart the path forward; and collaborate and co-create low-emissions solutions with clients.
Work You’ll Do
As a member of the SSI core team, this role will play an integral role in scoping, launching, and day-to-day execution of the Initiative. This is a unique opportunity to shape the strategy and operating model for the “north star” of the SCE SGO.
The Consultant will work closely with the SGO Chief Strategic & Commercial Officer, SSI Program Director and the SSI Research Leader and interact with senior leaders within the SGO, across Businesses, Industries, and Enabling Areas, and with clients and external collaborators such as non-profits, think tanks, and universities. This role will coordinate and drive key activities, including building relationships, developing eminence, and convening key players across the major systems we seek to impacts (energy, food, mobility, industrials, and negative emissions, with technology, government, and finance as essential enablers).
- Working with the SSI Program Manager help refine the SSI strategy, key activities, operating model, and governance processes
- Execute against near- and medium-term workplans; define essential activities, milestones, and timelines
- Coordinate with adjacent efforts across the SCE SGO; US Businesses, Industries, and Sectors; and Global Sustainability & Climate marketplace
- Coordinate relationships with external partners such as NGOs, Academia, Business Forums etc.
- Help develop executive level presentations and reports, and lead the preparation of meeting agendas and materials for various leadership and team meetings
- Suggest improvement of administrative and operational activities and processes
- BA/BS (Bachelors) degree
- 3+ years of prior work experience
- Limited immigration sponsorship may be available.
- Ability to travel 0-20% on average, based on the work you do and the clients and industries/sectors you serve.
- Experience in Consulting, Strategy or Operations
- Track record of high performance
- Deep desire to effect systems-level change to address the climate crisis
- Strong strategy, analytical, research, and project management skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work aggressive deliverable due dates and workplans
- Proven ability to navigate ambiguous environments and influence key stakeholders
- Knowledge of climate change and other ESG-related trends and challenges
- Strategy, eminence, and/or marketing experience preferred
- Sustainability-related experience preferred
- Familiarity with systems dynamics approaches
- Comfort working with complex concepts
- Ability to succeed in both team-based and independent environments
For individuals assigned and/or hired to work in Colorado or Nevada, Deloitte is required by law to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. This compensation range is specific to the State of Colorado and the State of Nevada and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs. The disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. At Deloitte, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is $64,935 to $119,580.
You may also be eligible to participate in a discretionary annual incentive program, subject to the rules governing the program, whereby an award, if any, depends on various factors, including, without limitation, individual and organizational performance.