Director of Philanthropy
We at Climate Action Campaign are a growing team that advocates and organizes for bold policies to stop the climate
crisis through effective policy action. Through the lens of equity and justice, we fight for a Zero Carbon future and the
systemic change that ensures clean air, clean water, and a livable future for everyone.
We wake up every day ready to support the fight for the game-changing climate laws, policies and programs we need to
achieve climate justice. To fulfill this vision, we need 100% of our team to be 100% in.
- Do you believe in the power of local politics to make positive change?
- Do you love meeting new people and building relationships?
- Is your first thought “no problem” when faced with a challenge?
- Do you enjoy connecting with donors to help them invest in their communities?
- Do you enjoy working alongside colleagues committed to making a difference?
If you answered yes to these questions, please read on.
The Director of Philanthropy will create, execute, and evaluate all philanthropy strategies to ensure a diverse and
sustainable portfolio to support CAC’s mission. This position will create, cultivate, maintain, and strengthen relationships
with our network of members, donors, grantors, and business partners, create and implement strategies to diversify CAC’s
funding sources, serve as the point of contact for member outreach, write and manage grant applications and
requirements, and organize CAC special events. A successful applicant will have a minimum of 3 years experience in
nonprofit development, be comfortable in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, and be capable of leading development
efforts with a high degree of independence, while embracing work in a high-profile setting and dedicated to an ambitious
Major Goals and Responsibilities:
● Create, execute, and evaluate strategies to secure financial support for our organization through:
○ Developing a major gifts program, including identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of
existing and potential major donors.
○ Directing the annual fund program, including campaigns, fundraising drives, and special events.
○ Grant seeking, including research, proposal writing, stewardship and reporting requirements.
○ Grow and steward corporate giving through Business Memberships and Event Sponsorships.
● Prospects- Individuals, Foundations, Corporate: Conduct prospect research and meet prospective donors and
supporters on a continual basis to establish and build relationships. Conduct grant seeking, including research,
proposal writing, and reporting requirements. Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share
information about CAC with the community.
● Existing donor cultivation/stewardship: Continue to grow a major gifts program including identification,
cultivation and solicitation, and stewardship of major donors.
● Campaigns: Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives. Direct capital
campaigns and other major fundraising efforts. Manage fundraising special events and actively participate in other
● Events: In collaboration with Events Manager, oversee stewardship and fundraising events, ensuring the goal of
each event is met, including but not limited to income generation, new donor cultivation, and stewardship of
● Communications: With the Communications Manager, create, execute, and evaluate CAC’s donor
communications strategy, including production of email content, updating of website content, and marketing
special events and campaigns. This includes assessing donor engagement, retention rate, and other KPIs.
Knowledge of marketing and sales is a plus!
● Boards and committees: Provide guidance and leadership on the development, implementation, and
management of committees. Support Board recruitment and ongoing training.
● Miscellaneous: Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems. Lead and inspire staff and board to
participate in philanthropic activities.
A good fit for this position will:
● Have proven success and a minimum of 3 years experience in nonprofit development.
● Be comfortable with a wide range of philanthropic work, including solicitation and stewardship of individual,
foundation and corporate donors, donors and potential donor cultivation and research, grant writing, and special
● Have experience interfacing with nonprofit boards (preferred).
● Be passionate about climate justice and what we do.
● Have top-notch communication skills (written and verbal).
● Enjoy meeting new people, and developing and maintaining meaningful professional relationships.
● Have an understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on
underserved and underrepresented communities, including understanding that the climate crisis
disproportionately burdens working-class communities of color.
● Be able to communicate effectively and tactfully with different audiences.
● Be a self-motivated and resourceful independent worker who is also a team player.
● Be organized, capable of managing deadlines and fluctuating priorities for an array of projects while maintaining
attention to detail.
● Have a keen interest in learning and developing as a professional, staying on top of best practice research.
● Believe that any challenge facing fundraising efforts is surmountable.
● Have management and leadership experience – both in managing direct reports but in collaborating across
departments within the organization.
● Experience using Asana is a plus!
Climate Action Campaign Core Values
Justice, Equity, Accessibility, Opportunity for all, Inclusion, Health, Voice, Safety. We look forward to sharing more about
these values when we meet.
● Health, dental, vision and life insurance.
● 401(k) Retirement Plan with employer match.
● Monthly cell and transportation benefit.
● Generous paid time off and holiday schedule.
Salary range: $78,000-$98,000 (commensurate with experience)