Full Job Description
Planned Parenthood Keystone (PPKey) serves 37 counties in Pennsylvania, home to over half of Pennsylvania residents. We have administrative offices in the Lehigh Valley, Harrisburg, Warminster, and York. We operate 9 medical centers that serve over 22,000 patients annually and offer comprehensive sexuality education that reaches thousands of young adults.
Planned Parenthood Keystone is looking for individuals who are committed to supporting our shared goal of strengthening and enhancing our awareness and commitment to advancing the cause of racial & social justice in our organization.
The Director of Public Affairs provides leadership for and serves as the primary staff in the organization in the areas of advocacy, public affairs, and communications. It is their role to engage, motivate, and mobilize PPKeystone’s key constituencies across its 37-county territory.
The Director of Public Affairs plays a key role in shaping public perception of PPKeystone and public policies by enabling public officials, advocates, volunteers, and the public at large to understand and make informed decisions on issues that impact sexual and reproductive health. Under the general supervision of the Chief External Affairs Officer, the Director of Public Affairs sets overall direction and strategy for PPKeystone’s public affairs and public relations activities. The Director of Public Affairs also acts as the primary liaison to the state Action Fund (c4 organization) and exhibits strong understanding of c3/c4 activities. Though this position is hybrid, it is expected that the Director of Public Affairs travel throughout PPKeystone territory to manage key relationships with the President and CEO and the Chief External Affairs Officer. During this mission critical time, it is imperative that they be autonomous and able to manage ambiguity and shifting priorities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Strategic Planning & General Oversight
– Plans, directs and/or facilitates collaborative efforts with private and non-governmental organizations on matters related to legislative initiatives and/or relevant issues (e.g. equity in contraceptive coverage, access, family planning funding, etc.)
– Develops and cultivates relationships with decision makers and those who influence them to achieve outlined objectives
– Advances community coalition-building for race, gender, social and health equity Develops plans to integrate public affairs work throughout PPKeystone, working closely with Development, Operations, and Marketing to ensure the communications and public relations priorities are set and met Expands brand and mission through media and advocacy work – Develops and implements grassroots programs with the Volunteer Coordinator to engage staff, volunteers and clients to expand the public policy advocacy efforts
– Works in collaboration with Planned Parenthood Action Fund and the Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates (C4 organizations) to advance mission related priorities
Legislative/Public Policy/Advocacy Activities
– Coordinates and participates in lobbying efforts at the local/regional level
– Develops and cultivates relationships with key staff at Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, and Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates
– With input from the CEAO and the President and CEO, defines which elected officials should be prioritized;
– Maintains ongoing constructive two-way communication with elected officials at all levels within service area; monitors legislative and judicial activities relating to sexual and reproductive health, organizing responses when appropriate
– Designs program to cultivate and grow pool of advocates who will take action when prompted through activities such as personal cultivation, email, online/social media, direct mail, third party events, etc.,
– Organizes and coordinates annual Lobby Day
– Works cross-departmentally with the Development and Operations departments to explore how relationships might be influential in public affairs goals
– Participates in local, state, and regional coalitions and organizations
– Evaluates current relationships across agency and expands into our organizations that meet strategic priorities, especially to advance health equity and racial/social justice
– Makes meaningful inroads with reproductive justice and social justice organizations and evolves collaborations
– Actively involves the CEAO and the President and CEO in key/priority relationship management
– Coordinates and manages media requests and interviews for President and CEO and the CEAO, including creating talking points, scheduling, and staffing the designated spokesperson
– Able to serve as the spokesperson when President and CEO and CEAO are not able, ensuring that PPKeystone’s messaging remains strong and consistent
– Generates timely and appropriate media coverage of PPKeystone, primarily on public policy issues
– Provides statements and accurate information on reproductive health issues pro-actively or in response to media requests
Team and Program Management
– Provides direct supervision to the Patient Advocacy Program Manager , including written annual performance evaluations, professional development goals and plans, and training
Values and Commitments:
– Commitment to Planned Parenthood’s mission and conviction to health equity and access to sexual and reproductive healthcare
– Understanding of racism and commitment to racial & social justice
– Awareness of multiple group identities and their dynamics, bringing a high level of self-awareness, empathy, and humility to interpersonal interactions
– Effective interactions and building of trust across diverse groups of people
– Demonstrated ability to communicate and hear effectively across differences and reflect and act on feedback related to identity and equity with the aim to learn
– Commitment to Planned Parenthood’s In This Together service ethos, workplace values, and service standards
Qualifications & Experience:
– 5 years of experience in public affairs, organizing, coalition building, and/or nonprofit work.
– Advanced beginner to intermediate proficiency of Microsoft Office including TEAMS, other project planning tools like Microsoft Planner, Basecamp, SharePoint or equivalent; campaign databases such as NGP VAN and Every Action, must be comfortable frequently using webinar software to conduct meetings effectively
– Exceptional organizational and problem-solving skills as well as verbal and written communications skills.
– Proven ability to set and meet clear goals, and independently prioritize tasks.
– Comfort making sound strategic decisions in the face of uncertain or incomplete information.
– Ability to organize, multi-task and effectively function in a fast paced environment to set and achieve short and long term goals
– Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including weekends, early morning, and/or evening hours
– Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
– Ability and willingness to travel. Reliable means of transportation
– Strong commitment to excellent customer service
Salary and Benefits
– Compensation for this position starts at $70,000 annually and goes up from there based on experience
– Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage options for you and eligible dependents
– Short Term Disability
– Life/AD&D and Long Term Disability policy voluntary coverage options
– 401 (k) Retirement plan with up to 2% employer match
– Generous vacation, leave, and holiday benefits