Full Job Description
A/B is a digital storytelling studio based in NYC creating new narratives about people, power, and social change to transform our politics and the economy. Our team is racially and gender diverse at every level, from entry level to ownership; we are bringing the best-in-class creative strategies usually reserved for the private sector side by side with deep experience in social movements and ventures; and we are building a team that can help a new generation of leaders win the debate on their terms.
This role will be a member of our Strategy Team and report into the Head of Strategy and CEO. The Strategy team creates tailored experiences that leverages the many sides of A/B to build powerful brands, marketing, and political campaigns along with broader enterprise level strategy.
The Director of Strategy is the driving force behind the game changing narrative campaigns designed at A/B Partners. A proven leader with an ability to manage up, down, and laterally while driving complex, reactive strategies, the successful candidate will lead projects from beginning to end. This role is perfect for someone who dreams in frameworks, is drawn toward complex problems, and is already thinking deeply about stories, identity and power.
- Drive the strategic direction of a core set of accounts in line with the vision established by the Partner.
- Leverage strategic frameworks into insightful, audience-driven strategic and creative briefs ready for implementation.
- Take a multi-dimensional view of strategy informed by approaches centered in quantitative research, movement building and communications design, bringing enthusiasm to translate nuanced thinking into exciting deliverables.
- Produce strategic deliverables to the highest level of quality: deck presentations, memos, research analysis.
- Collaborate closely with the Experience Team, Research Team and Design Lab to ensure alignment and the sharpest possible outputs.
- Work closely with our founder and CEO to build out our unique strategic approach to challenging power through breakthrough insights
- Manage a high-powered Senior Associate(s) across 2-4 projects.
- 6+ years experience in campaign and communications design or other consultancy.
- Issue expertise across a key existing or emerging vertical at A/B. Current issue verticals include Economic Justice, Climate, Democracy, Criminal Justice, and Gender Justice. A/B considers racial justice and equity as foundational to our approach to every issue area.
- A record of getting to breakthrough insights and expressing them powerfully in presentation decks is required; developing others to do the same is a strong bonus.
- You are a strategic thinker, with the drive to be a trusted partner and advisor to clients across various aspects of their organizations, from organizational strategy to narrative campaigns.
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams in high pressure situations to simultaneously tackle multiple projects and challenges with enthusiasm.
- Passion to rapidly leverage and continue to build expertise in key issue area.
- Demonstrated experience communicating broad strategic initiatives to key stakeholders.
- Strong appreciation for design and client experience.
- Possess a strong curiosity, comfort with ambiguity, work collaboratively in a low-ego, fast-paced, and entrepreneurial environment
- Outstanding communication skills. Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills are needed. Much of our work depends on responsiveness, timely communication, and detailing the next steps with our partners with clarity and concision.
- Goal-oriented. Our work entails a combination of entrepreneurial creativity and straightforward execution. To maintain continual progress, we collaboratively set and check weekly goals.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to working in diverse teams and committed to creating an equitable and just world for Black and Brown people.
Equity is at the heart of A/B. From the clients we partner with and vendors we engage, to the team we’re building, we are committed to creating opportunities for the diverse community of talented, creative professionals who have been systematically denied opportunities across the professional communications industry. Women, people of color, LGBTI people, people of any religion or nationality and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Opportunities for advancement exist, and A/B is committed to helping all staff develop and grow.