Full Job Description
HealthPartners seeks a passionate and skilled sustainability leader to serve as its system-wide Director, Sustainability Programs. The Director will lead HealthPartners’ nationally recognized comprehensive health care sustainability program. Our program flows from HealthPartners Mission, Vision and Values, and demonstrates our commitment to community health, equity, and anti-racism. HealthPartners has received over one hundred national, regional, and local sustainability awards over the last 3 years, including several climate change awards, while achieving millions in savings. Program components include carbon reduction, energy efficiency, waste reduction, resource conservation, and education of patients, members, and employees.
HealthPartners is a nonprofit integrated care delivery and financing system based in Bloomington, MN. We have eight hospitals, over seventy-five medical and dental clinics, an array of insurance offerings, and 26,000 employees. At HealthPartners, you will find a culture where we live our values of excellence, compassion, integrity, and partnership. By working together, we will improve health and well-being, create exceptional experiences for those we serve and make care and coverage more affordable. We seek colleagues who wish to help advance diversity, equity and inclusion and foster an environment where everyone feels welcome, included, and valued.
- Bachelor’s degree with ten or more years related experience.
- An established subject matter expert in the field of sustainability with at least six years of direct experience in the field.
- Substantial experience with sustainability programs.
- Experience with overcoming waste and inefficiencies common to a health care setting.
- Advanced business knowledge including demonstrated ability to identify key business issues and the ability to develop appropriate action plans.
- Proven leadership skills in project management and consulting, with the ability to collaborate with individuals or teams from all areas and professional levels of the organization.
- Strong research skills and ability to conduct qualitative analysis and translate numerical results into actionable information to communicate outcomes.
- High degree of proficiency in advance software packages (for example: MS Office products including MS Access or knowledge of database systems, Excel spreadsheets and other graphical packages.)
- Strong organizational and project management skills and an ability to balance a number of functions and duties simultaneously.
- Established collaborator with experience building successful teams from disparate fields of expertise to reach common goals.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to lead staff, consultants, interns, and volunteers to reach goals of program.
- Strong oral and written communication skills including the ability to develop high-level business presentations.
- Excellent facilitation skills with both large and small groups.
- Must be highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges.
- Master’s degree in the natural sciences, environmental studies, ecology, public policy, or related field
- Established regional leader in the field of sustainability, preferably as it applies to health care.
- Certified professional in an appropriate field of sustainability (e.g., LEED, CLEP, CHMM).
- Experience in leading and facilitating regional sustainability teams to collaborate to accomplish larger community goals.
- Represents and promotes HealthPartners sustainability program to all applicable groups including, but not limited to, employees, recruits, members, patients, governmental bodies, and other interested parties.
- Determines sustainability program goals and priorities with senior leadership and develops an implementation plan to roll out the identified strategic initiatives in collaboration with the sustainability leadership teams.
- Sets the strategic direction by leading efforts to develop company policies, procedures, practices, and outcome measures that promote and support sustainability goals.
- Facilitates and enhances cross-functional, enterprise-wide, sustainability teams. Works with these teams to coordinate implementation of sustainability programs that will address the specific needs of each part of the organization.
- Measures and reports progress and program effectiveness through the development of reports and progress updates to the leadership teams.
- Develops and delivers formal presentations to senior management on sustainability efforts and program results. Works with Corporate Communications on developing employee focused communications that promote conservation of resources and educate employees on sustainability programs.
- Creates internal awareness through the development and presentation of in-service programs to inform employees on sustainability topics that encourage employees to act and make changes in their personal lives. Encourage and coordinate employee sustainability efforts.
- Coordinates with HealthPartners departments to identify, initiate, support, and institutionalize resource conservation policies focused on energy efficiency & transportation, waste reduction, sustainable purchasing, stakeholder engagement and overall program enhancements.
- Leads and represents HealthPartners through personal local, regional, and national networks and participation in associations and organizations to keep abreast of the latest sustainability issues facing (and likely to impact) HealthPartners and health care business into the future.
- Responsible for identifying grant or other funding sources, researching application process, compiling application data, coordinating deadlines, and writing the grant application and associated materials. Works with team members to identify and cooperate with any other related fundraising plans.
- Responsible for the supervision of staff, including having the authority to hire, transfer, lay off, promote, discipline and discharge, train, reward, and review performance of employees. Ensures compliance to organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
- Promotes and represents HealthPartners and the positive effect it is having in the community in a persuasive and appealing way, to qualify for and receive any available community, state, or federal recognition and/or awards.
- Serves as the subject matter expert to various sustainability organizations and governmental agencies. Acts as a subject matter expert on environmental compliance issues such as hazardous waste management and due diligence.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned or interested.
HealthPartners is recognized nationally for providing outstanding care and experience for patients and members. We offer an excellent salary and benefits package. For more information and to apply go to www.healthpartners.com/careers and search for Job ID # 66707.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.