Reporting to the President of Beaumont Health, the SVP Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) is responsible for supporting the organization’s mission and vision to put patients first and deliver excellence in patient safety, quality and service. In collaboration with the Chief Medical Officer, physicians, nursing administrators in the operations, and professional and clinical staff in other activities, advises the CEO on improvements in patient care and service.
The CNO provides direction, guidance and support on nursing professional practice models, clinical practice, standardization of policies and procedures, nurse recruiting, and nursing education and development. Additionally, the CNO provides guidance and support on operational decisions and direction through data-driven research and benchmarking, and functional communication and coordination with nursing leaders in the divisions. The position participates in governance and executive structures contributes to business and clinical decisions, and provides input based on considerations and perspectives of the nursing profession, the largest group of direct caregivers for Beaumont Health (BH) patients.
Lead and support the nursing function of the organization in putting patients first and delivering excellence in patient safety, quality, and service, resulting in high patient satisfaction with the total experience of care in Beaumont Health.
• Lead at all times and in all respects consistent with values of BHSH and the Beaumont division.
• Lead and/or participate in governance and executive leadership boards, committees, councils and task forces, as requested, to ensure business decisions are made with appropriate consideration for clinical and nursing perspectives.
• Oversee key functional areas in support of nursing operations in the divisions, including educating, training and developing RNs, and providing clinical rotations for RNs in the final stages of their education at external academic institutions.
• Lead the ongoing Magnet Hospital Designation and “Magnet like” efforts (active or re-designation) including professional practice model oversight, professional development of nurses through continued education opportunities, research projects, conferences, and special projects.
• Engage in appropriate external professional associations and task forces to stay apprised of professional and clinical developments and provide thought leadership to Beaumont Health on the direction of best practice in all aspects related to the nursing profession and clinical practice.
• Grow and maintain relationships and connections with academic institutions and work collaboratively with them on development of curricula and other programs, support for the clinical education of students, and alignment of interests with Beaumont Health to the extent possible.
• Cultivate and maintain relationships with Physicians to set the leadership tone for their relationships with the nursing function in Beaumont Health. Collaborate with physicians and others at every opportunity to enhance the clinical care and satisfaction of patients.
• Provide leadership in advocating and creating a work and patient care environment that is safe and engaging for nurses, physicians, volunteers and those that we serve.
• Cultivate and develop relationships with donors and prospective donors in support of Foundation initiatives, particularly as philanthropy relates to clinical practices and the continued education and professional development of nurses.
• Provide expertise on clinical practice and the nursing profession in support of grants and proposals prepared by the Foundation or Community Relations, or in support of external and internal communications from Marketing, Communications, or Governmental Affairs offices.
• Develop and implement initiatives to improve the total patient experience and support the continuous improvement in the skills of nurses and staff supporting them.
• Support the operations and corporate staffs by driving change with innovative approaches in areas such as staffing models, evidence-based practice implementation, clinician efficiencies/improvements, IT applications and systems for the operations, and compensation and benefits matters for nurses and supporting classifications, to anticipate, prevent, and resolve key issues.
• Develop and administer the Nursing Administration Office Budget and provide guidance and support on nursing matters for the budget planning process for the company.
• Participate as an active member of the Executive Leadership Team to carry out the mission, vision, and values of Beaumont Health and to drive overall business results bringing high levels of business acumen, creativity and strategic thinking.
Experience and Qualifications:
• A visible and strategic nurse executive with a successful history in the development of nursing leadership and programs that support the standardization and advancement of the nursing practice, including the creation and execution of best practice clinical models of care.
• Proven experience in talent development, mentoring, and leadership development while fostering diversity and inclusion across an organization.
• A system thinker who collaborates across functions to achieve organizational goals, with demonstrated outcomes in decreasing cost of care while increasing quality, safety, patient satisfaction, and nursing engagement.
• Ability to effectively work within matrixed structures, gaining consensus to make informed decisions across the full continuum of care.
• A strong consensus builder with a successful record of developing partnerships among multiple stakeholders, to include administration, physicians, and nursing staff/leadership.
• Demonstrated progressive nursing leadership experience, including experience as a nursing executive in a major hospital/health system.
• Knowledge in and support of shared governance models and philosophy.
• Master’s degree in Nursing, Healthcare, or Business Administration.
• PhD or DNP is preferred but not required.
• Magnet accreditation experience is desirable.